Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Advent Calendar

J has been asking for about a week now when Christmas will be here and I know that the concept of time and days is really difficult for him at this age.  I found an easy homemade advent calendar that we made together today.  I printed the templates from DLTK's Growing Together.  I printed the tree in black and white because J would be painting it but the ornaments I printed in color.  The ornaments are small and there are 24 of them.  I knew J would not sit still long enough to paint or color them all.  If your child is older, they might enjoy coloring or painting each one.  Here are a few pictures of the painting process.




We let the tree dry, I cut it out, and J glued it onto a red piece of construction paper. 

Each morning, we'll glue on an ornament until Christmas day, when we'll attach the Merry Christmas star! 


 This project is also a great way to practice counting past 20.  DLTK's Growing Together had the instructions to count backwards from 24 to 1.  I decided to adapt it for J to place the ornaments 1-24 to continue working on counting.  This will also help with printed number recognition.  I am really excited and I hope that some of you may be able to use this as well!  Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment