Saturday, August 27, 2011

Wrapping My Children in Bubble Wrap



When Jon and I were first married, he used to watch toddlers stumble, wobble, and fall with trepidation.  He jokingly declared that when we had children, we'd protect them from all those bumps and bruises by wrapping them in bubble wrap. 
About two weeks ago, Buddy tripped while running on carpet and banged his elbow.  After a trip to the ER, we were told it was just dislocated and the doctor put it back in place.  But after a call from the radiologist the next morning, we quickly learned that his elbow was also fractured in two places.  Buddy was put in a hard splint and sling that is keeping his elbow in place while it heals. 
Running is something that Buddy and Sweetpea do daily and falls inevitably will occur.  I find myself cringing every time they run but keep having to remind myself to let them be children.  Buddy has hardly been slowed down by his splint and is still an active three year old.  I've thought back to those early days of Jon and my marriage and think how nice it would be to have a bubble wrapped child.  Unfortunately, wrapping our children in bubble wrap is not an option and instead we have to completely trust our Heavenly Father to keep them safe.  When I start to worry about each fall, I remind myself of Philippians 4:6-7, "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."  Jesus loves my children more than I ever could and He is watching over them, which, in my mind, is even better than bubble wrap.

No comments:

Post a Comment