Monday, July 18, 2011

Life Science Lesson

First off, I have to apologize for my absence from blogging this past week.  Our church had our Vacation Bible School last week and, between preparing for each night and VBS itself, I decided to take a small break.

This past week though, our family made the awesome discovery that a hummingbird has made a nest on our wind chimes and is currently waiting on eggs to hatch.  Buddy has loved watching the momma bird sit on the nest from inside our front door and wanted to know why she flies away when we go outside.  I can't wait for little baby hummingbirds to hatch and to show Buddy as they grow.  Sweetpea is even fascinated by the birds as well.  Here is a close up picture of the nest.

 We couldn't get any pictures of the eggs since the nest is too close to our roof to get the correct angle but, trust me, there are very small eggs inside the nest.  I have to laugh at this photo though because as Jon was taking the up close photo, the mama hummingbird came swooping in towards Jon and almost flew into his head.  We all went back inside fairly quickly and she immediately sat back down on her nest.


I think this is such a great life science lesson as we get to watch this nest first hand.  Hopefully Buddy and Sweetpea enjoy this as much as I will!  I promise to update when we have baby hummingbirds!

No comments:

Post a Comment