Thursday, July 7, 2011

Meeting in a Parking Lot

Today, Sweetpea had her 15 month check up at the doctor.  This meant we had a pretty hectic morning of trying to get everyone up and dressed and out the door.  It also meant that I was pretty short tempered with Buddy and Sweetpea when they wanted to play instead of putting on clothes and shoes. 
Sweetpea had a great appointment and as we were in the parking lot headed to our car, a sweet lady smiled at me and said "Enjoy them now while they are young and soak it all up."  I then noticed she had tears in her eyes and I stopped walking. 
She smiled through the tears and went on to say that her 21 year old daughter is in the hospital fighting cancer.  They need a miracle for her to make it through this.  She looked at Buddy and Sweetpea and talked about her daughter at a younger age.  I told her that I would be praying for her and her daughter and tried not to tear up myself.  This woman that I just met turned and said, "You are a great mom, I can tell.  Just keep up the hard work and enjoy them through every moment."  She then walked away back inside the hospital building.  I put Buddy and Sweetpea into their car seats and kissed both their foreheads. 
Each time that I felt frustrated this afternoon, I took a deep breath and remembered this short conversation. Suddenly the little frustrations weren't so bad and I stopped and prayed for the daughter going through cancer treatments.  I needed that big reminder today to cherish each moment with my children and I know that this will stick with me for a long time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment