Saturday, November 27, 2010

Black Friday

I have never been brave enough to go to the store on Black Friday until this year.  We had decided not to go until we saw a few deals in our area for J and H that we thought were worth it.  Jon and I went with my brother and sister specifically for a Buzz Lightyear toy for J.  My brother decided he would be the one to stand by that section.  As I walked with him over to where they had the Buzz's stacked, we were joking about having him throw elbows and push people down.  I wished him good luck and went to my station to wait until midnight. 

While waiting, unbeknownst to me, my sister was texting him joking about not falling down and getting trampled.  I then texted him to check on him and see how the crowd was in his area.  His response to me was "Would this be putting too much emphasis on stuff?"  I blew it off at the time and we finished our Black Friday shopping in under 20 minutes, thanks to teamwork. 

Later that night as I tried to go to sleep, my brother's text kept coming back to me.  I reflected on how easy it was to get caught up in the frenzy of "stuff" and how because it was set up like a competition, we had bought more than we intended.  I thought about how Jon and I had already talked about doing a smaller amount of presents and how we had already begun to fail. 

As a mommy who wants to be faithful with my children, I do not want them growing up caught in the consumerism of Christmas.  I want my children to know that Christ is the meaning behind CHRISTmas.  Black Friday and Cyber Monday are easy ways to justify spending more money because it is just a "great deal".  My goal this year is to make our family Christmas purposeful and Christ oriented.  I want J and H to remember that Jesus's birth, not presents, is the reason we celebrate.  I'll be posting over the next few weeks with crafts and activities that J and I will be doing to be more intentional in celebrating Christ's birth.  If you have any other ideas or suggestions, please feel free to comment and participate.  Hope you enjoy and have a great Christmas season!

No comments:

Post a Comment