Monday, November 29, 2010

Books for Babies

My family visited for Thanksgiving this past week and my mom brought J and H a whole lot of new books.  I sat down to read with H yesterday and realized that she sat through four books in a row without trying to squirm away.  So if you have a wiggly baby who doesn't like to sit still for reading, I highly recommend Busy Baby books
Busy Baby Dotted Spotted Words  Busy Baby Dotted Spotted 123  Busy Baby Dotted Spotted Colours 
They are simple books with 1-2 words per page with bright, vivid pictures.  I think that is why H enjoyed them so much.  There is also a shapes book but I could not find a picture.  I was so excited to finally find books that H would sit through and enjoy.  The big emphasis while I was teaching was how important reading is.  I greatly encourage parents to read to their children.  Read, read, read.  It is a great way to develop language skills, increase vocabulary, and teach new things to your child. 

H will also sit through our Bible story times with J.  His Bible is The Beginner's Bible that I actually got at a choir Christmas party as a White Elephant Gift when J was a year old. 
The Beginner's Bible: Timeless Children's Stories
J has loved reading it and has spent hours just looking through the stories by himself.  I am hoping H will enjoy it just as much as J.  Finding a children's Bible was hard for Jon and me since most are a little simplistic.  This Bible was a great thing for us as it wasn't quite so simple and because it is broken into individual stories with the Scripture reference underneath.  It also includes the crucifixion on a young child's level.  Several of the ones Jon and I looked at skipped from the Last Supper to the Resurrection. 

J and I used his Bible to read the birth of Jesus last night to kick off our family's Christmas season.  For the next two weeks, our Bible verse to memorize will be Luke 2:11.  Over the next few days, I'll also be adding Christmas crafts, coloring sheet links, and other Christmas ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment