Monday, December 13, 2010

For Unto us a Child is born

"For unto us a Child is born,
Unto us a Son is given;
And the government will be upon His shoulder.
And His name will be called
Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God,
 Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace."  - Isaiah 9:6 NKJV

This is our focal verse with J from now until December 26th.  I'm a little nervous because this is the longest verse he's attempted to memorize.  I thought about only doing the last section starting with "And His name will be called..." but I really want J to learn entire verses.  J really has an amazing memory and it may take him a little longer, but I think he can learn the full thing. 

To have a visual, we're going to use The Names of Jesus ornaments from BibleStoryPrintables.com.  I've printed the names listed in the verse in black and white to let J color them the way he wants.  I'll cover them with contact paper and we'll hang them with ribbon onto our mantle.  When J memorized Galatians 5:22-23, it helped him to have the apple garland that we made from I Can Teach My Child

Helping J learn his Bible verses has challenged me because I have to know it before I can teach him.  This has shown me that I can memorize scripture easier than I thought when I set my mind to it!  And that I need to stop whining about how hard it is and just get to work.

On a side note, a friend suggested making the blog a little more personal by using nicknames for my kiddos.  At home, I call J "Buddy"  and H "Sweetpea" so from now on that is how I will be referring to them.  I like that better than just using the first letters of their names. 

No comments:

Post a Comment