Monday, February 28, 2011

Week 8 of Reading the Bible in 90 Days

The Bible in 90 Days Participant's Guide: An Extraordinary Experience with the Word of God
This week I read through the rest of Isaiah and most of Jeremiah.  It has been another week of falling behind since Buddy, Sweetpea, and I are visiting family.  I couldn't seem to find a good time to read when I wasn't falling asleep.  It is hard to give up the chatting time to go read but finally I made myself stop and go try to catch up.  I am about a day and a half behind but am working diligently to keep on track.

I am struggling a little to read these books for understanding but am praying that even by just reading, that God will speak to my heart through His Word.  The story of Hezekiah is repeated in Isaiah and it strikes me again about how after Isaiah prophesizes about the coming exile to Babylon, Hezekiah's response is that at least it will be peaceful in his days (Isaiah 39:8).  Even though Isaiah's prophesy included the that some of his sons will be taken away to Babylon, his response was still "The word of the Lord which you have spoken to me is good!".  I do not understand how he could not be worried about his children's future after his death.  Hezekiah's short-sightedness saddens me that any parent could be so nonchalant about their child's future well-being.  I did enjoy reading Isaiah 61 since it is one of my favorite passages from Isaiah; I love the part about setting the captives free and giving beauty for ashes. 

I am still in the process of reading Jeremiah but read through Jeremiah 29:11 today.  Jeremiah 29:11 is a very quoted verse but I like it for a different reason than most.  "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord" is the part that I love.  I am a planner...a list maker...a make a 12 step process to achieve goals person and love that God has plans.  He has plans for me plans that I may not fully understand yet but He has things that He wants us to do.  Having plans means that He has taken the time to think about me and my life.  It also means that I need to take the time to pray before making decisions to keep in God's plan for me. 

Again, I challenge you to read God's Word and dive in to see what He has to say to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment