Saturday, May 14, 2011

Girls' Night Out and Fellowships

This week I was reminded of the importance of fellowship and time with other Godly women.  Thursday night, a few ladies from Sunday School got together at a local restaurant and we had a great time.  There was good food, great conversations, and lots of laughter.  The best part is that I felt like a whole person again not just a Mommy or wife.  Having a night out without my children and husband, while I love them dearly, was an eye opening experience.  Yes, we talked about our children.  Yes, we talked about our husbands.  But we also had real life challenging conversation focused on Christ.  I came home feeling more energized than I had felt in a while.  Girls' Night Out can be beneficial as friendships are formed and strengthened and as "mommies" are allowed to be women again.

On a similar note, tonight, our family had a great fellowship time with another family from our church over dinner.  It was such a joy to be able to hang out with fellow Christians and to watch our children play together so sweetly.  It was very similar to the Girls Night Out except that this was my entire family being welcomed and lifted up.  I enjoyed this time of hanging out and getting to know friends on a deeper level.

I am recognizing through these two instances how important it is to not shut myself and my family off from others.  Spending time with friends and letting my children spend time with other children is so beneficial for me, for my husband, and for Buddy and Sweetpea.  I hope to be able to enjoy more of these times and to be able to open my home more often as well.  God has given us these friendships to build us up and to encourage us in our daily walks for a reason.  Let us be willing to take the time and effort to spend that quality time growing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment