Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Meal Planning: January

I know I am a little behind, as today is the fourth day in January, but I finally had a moment to sit down and plan out our menus.  As a Southern girl, cooking healthy is always a challenge but I really tried to make the meals this month a little lighter in calories.  Both Jon and I have the goal of getting into shape and becoming healthier this year so our meals need to reflect that plan.  One of my favorite cookbooks to pull lighter recipes from is my Taste of Home Cookbook.  It has an entire section for lower caloric main dishes, appetizers, and desserts.  A lot of our meals this month come from this cookbook or from a recipe I adapted from an idea in it.  Each week, though, has a meal that isn't as healthy because I have given up in the past when I try to eat right all the time!  In moderation, I can enjoy a somewhat less healthy meal, which will add the variety that I crave and prayerfully keep me on track over the long run.

Another goal, as I planned out the meals, was to have at least one meal each week that Buddy can help me make.  Buddy is starting a preschool at our church on Thursday so that night we're having his favorite, Crusty Lasagna.  This is a family favorite that is actually titled Crescent Lasagna but was renamed at some point when I was a child.  Buddy loves this meal and loves to help prepare it with me.  He loves to cook and bake and so we'll have fun making Crusty Lasagna, Enchiladas, Chicken Pot Pie, and Homemade pizza.  I'm looking forward to making the meals with Buddy and having that time together.

No comments:

Post a Comment