Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Sanctity of Life

Tonight in youth group, Jon had the students "make" friends.  Our students worked in groups of 3 and traced a person onto butcher paper.  They then named their friend and gave him or her attributes like "likes music", "will attend an Ivy League College", and even "laughs when nervous".  Jon had each group introduce their friend and give their details. 

The students really got into the activity and were laughing as they worked.  I have to admit they did a great job bringing their friends to life. 

After each group had presented, Jon let them know that 1 in 4 children conceived had been killed through abortion.  Our students were silent as they realized that our youth group could have had 10 more people in church that night.  I knew ahead of time what the illustration was going to be and it still brought tears to my eyes.  The realization that so many babies never have the chance to grow up and live out their dreams hit our students and me in a new way tonight.  Life is precious and created by God from the point of conception.  I love what the Bible says in Psalm 139:13-16.

For you created my inmost being;
you knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;
your works are wonderful,
I know that full well.
My frame was not hidden from you
when I was made in the secret place,
when I was woven together in the depths of the earth.
Your eyes saw my unformed body;
all the days ordained for me were written in your book
before one of them came to be.  Psalm 139:13-16

I will be praying tonight for each person who has been affected by abortion and those who are facing the decision of life or abortion.  Choose Life!

2 comments: