Friday, March 25, 2011

I Can't

"I can't, I can't!" has been a too popular phrase around our house lately from Buddy.  I have to admit there are days that I get so frustrated with him when I hear it one too many times.  The hardest part for me is that he is saying "I can't" to things that I know he can do because he has done them in the past.  While I don't know how long this phase will last, I will be glad to see more independence bloom in Buddy.

God hit me over the head this morning as I was already sighing exasperatedly at Buddy's first "I can't" of the day.  I started to grumble to Jon about how I didn't like that phrase when I could almost hear God saying, "How many times have you told me 'I can't' lately?".  Talk about conviction. 

We as adults tell our Heavenly Father all the time some form of the "I can't" phrase:
"I can't witness to that person down the street; they'll never listen."
"I can't memorize long passages of Scripture; it is just too hard."
"I can't make it to church today to worship You, I'm just too tired."
"I can't read my Bible today; there is a really cool new episode on t.v."

But Philippians 4:13 tells another story..."I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."  All things is so inclusive!  When we are called to do something for the Lord, He will strengthen us and enable us to perform the tasks that He has asked of us.  I'm going to start clinging to Philippians 4:13 with the hope that the next time God asks me to do something, I respond, "Yes Lord, I can!"

No comments:

Post a Comment