Friday, March 4, 2011

Memorizing Scripture and John 13:34

Here is a video of Buddy saying John 13:34 which was our Bible verse in early February. 


I realized the other day that I've posted about Buddy's Bible verses without explaining how he learns them.  And to be honest, I'm not always sure how he manages to memorize them so quickly but I've been trying to be more purposeful in giving him opportunities to learn. 

I started to feel a little convicted around October when I realized that Buddy has memorized lyrics to so many songs so why couldn't he learn Scripture?  So we tried memorization by starting with Galatians 5:22-23, the Fruit of the Spirit.  I had activities, a coloring sheet, and crafts to go along with the verse.  He memorized the verse within 4 days.  It completely amazed Jon and I at how easily he mastered the verse.

Through my teaching experiences, I have found that repetition is the key to a child learning anything but the learning needs to be fun or they will lose interest.  Also, I do not push Buddy into reciting his verse if he does not want to or push him on learning if he is clearly distracted.  I never want Scripture to be a chore, especially at his young age.  A normal week of Scripture memory includes a coloring sheet (if I can find one) or a memory verse poster, hand motions or a song, and lots of times to repeat the verse after me.  Bonus activities are any crafts that tie into the verse or learning opportunities in life (Ephesians 6:1 always has life lessons).  About every other week I will review Buddy's verses with him to keep all the verses fresh in his mind.

The important thing to remember is repetition is key!  Buddy and I will recite his verse in the car, in the house, in the grocery store, and wherever else we have a free moment.  I prompt him as needed on the words and we try to state the reference before and after the verse.  There is no right or wrong way to memorize Scripture as different things work for different children.  We are commanded to hide God's Word in our hearts (Psalm 119:11) and this can begin at even a young age.  If you start teaching your child Scripture, it will amaze you how many opportunities there will be to include it daily in your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment