Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Redeeming Love

Redeeming LoveRedeeming Love by Francine Rivers is one of the best fiction books that I have ever read and re-read.  Since first reading this book while in high school, I think I've read it about six times and could hardly put it down each time.  The book is somewhat of the story of Hosea from the Bible and deals with serious content and God's great love for us.
The book revolves around Michael Hosea, a sold-out Christian, and Angel, a prostitute.  Michael hears God's voice in that Angel is the one to be his wife and follows God's leading.  Even as Angel feels herself falling in love with Michael, she pushes him away for fear that she will completely fall apart.  Even though she tries several different tactics to push him away, Michael shows her nothing but true love.  I'm not going to give away the entire storyline so I'll stop here but this is an awesome book to read. 
I am struck each time I read this of how God loves us even when we feel we don't deserve love or when we try to earn love.  The emotions that Francine Rivers is able to portray through her characters are so real and transparent and I cannot think of a better fictional portrayal of God's constant love.  Even the love that Michael Hosea demonstrates as a husband, is a great example of how marriage is for better or worse.  In a culture of divorce, people forget that as husbands and wives, we are called to love our spouse now matter what.  "1 Corinthians 13" love is demonstrated in the way that Michael treats Angel.   Redeeming Love challenges me to rethink about my relationship with God and how I desire to be completely faithful to Him. 

3 comments:

  1. I love that book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Francine Rivers is one of my favorites. I love that fact that her books deal with real life issues instead of packaging everything up into a pretty parcel like so many other Christian authors. Life is messy and she handles it head on.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been disappointed by Francine Rivers' books!

    ReplyDelete