Saturday, April 16, 2011

Egg Carton Garden

Today, Buddy and I started his egg carton garden for spring time.  This is something that we are going to try to keep up with daily and hopefully in about 3-4 weeks, we'll have nice marigold and asylum blooms and fresh parsley.  Buddy has been very interested in our rose bush and comments each day when he spots a new bloom so I thought this would be a hands-on approach to help him understand plants.  It also goes along with his Bible verse, 2 Corinthians 5:17, since I think this qualifies as a new creation.

If you are interested in making an easy spring time 'garden', here is how we made our egg carton plants. 

You'll need:
1 cardboard egg carton
1 small bag of potting soil
1 or more packages of seeds (Be sure to check plant heights...it would be interesting to have a 5 foot plant growing from an egg carton)


Buddy filled each section of the egg carton with the potting soil.  Apparently, he is really excited in this photo!
 I poured the packets of seeds into my hand and he would take a small pinch of seeds and place them in the dirt.  We added another small layer of potting soil on top of each section to cover the seeds.
Buddy watered his new plants and then asked to see the flowers.  This will be a lesson in patience as well.  I recommend helping a little closer with the watering.  Buddy flooded our carton and so I know our three types of seeds, that we carefully placed in three different sections, were probably washed and blended together. Oh well, I think it will still turn out great.
The carton will be placed in a sunny section each day and carefully watered as needed.  I'm looking forward to checking for blooms with Buddy and watching his response.

No comments:

Post a Comment