Saturday, April 16, 2011

Palm Sunday

"Hosanna!  Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!" ~ Mark 11:9b 

Palm Sunday has always been a special time in my heart because of the memories of my childhood.  Several times growing up, each person at church would each receive a real palm frond and we would recite the verse above.  One year I remember, we, the children, were told to lay our fronds at the altar while shouting, "Hosanna!  Blessed is He who comes in the name of the Lord!".  Since tomorrow is Palm Sunday so I thought I would share a few craft ideas for children.

I plan to make a construction paper palm frond with Buddy tomorrow since we do not have a real one and let him walk around the house shouting Mark 9:11b.  DLTK's Growing Together has a great palm leaf template to use to create your own frond. 

DLTK's Growing Together also has several other Palm Sunday crafts if you are interested in doing other crafts as well.

If your church passes out real fronds, I found a neat tutorial on Folding Palm Crosses.  The video shows you how to take a palm leaf and turn it into a cross.  It is a reminder that while Jesus was entering Jerusalem triumphantly, the cross was ever looming.

And finally, John Piper has an awesome explanation of the meaning of the word Hosanna if you are interested.

I hope you have a great Palm Sunday and remember to focus on the reason that Jesus was entering Jerusalem.  Hosanna!  Salvation has come!

No comments:

Post a Comment