Thursday, April 21, 2011

Maundy Thursday

Today is Maundy Thursday, a term that I had not heard much until I was in college, and probably never really understood until tonight.  Also a term that confuses a lot of our youth as they tend to ask, "What is Monday Thursday?"  I knew that it was a celebration of the Last Supper and the Lord's Supper but never stopped to think about the word Maundy. 
At our church, we had a Maundy Thursday service tonight and it was explained that 'Maundy' means "A new commandment".  Buddy, who was in the service, started to recite his Bible verse of John 13:34 where Jesus states, "A new command I give you: Love one another.  As I have loved you so you must love one another."   While it made my Mommy heart proud, it also made me a little curious if this verse and Maundy Thursday are connected.  So I looked and found a post by John Piper at Desiring God called Thursday of the Commandment.  I hope you enjoy the post as much as I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment